Tuesday 7 December 2010

When ? Is it going to stop?

This picture was taken at 9.30p.m. Temperature has never got above freezing since it all started.
Those poor people stuck in it in their cars for hours.... I couldn't last an hour without needing the loo, what does one do? Along with the shovel you pack a funnel and an empty plastic bottle? Good idea, must remember that next time I journey to the post office.
Only found out today that when they put salt on the road it dosnt work if the temperature is below -10. Thats why we are all sliding all over the place.
One couldn't really say we were snowed in, as the snow has been moved by Mike and the snow plough, but that leaves the surface of ice. No car journey at the moment is without its sideways slide, or slalom, wish I knew the correct terms for all these, but I always found skiing/skating programmes totally boring.(Apart from the Bolero thingy) Fortunately I do remember my Dad's advice on driving in the snow, "drive into the skid," problem is you end up facing the way you have come from.
I also have a memory from many years back at braking on seeing a dog amble across the road in front of me, car went into a skid, I drove into it, hit a car parked at the side of the road and watched a huge shower of newspaper go up and cascade down. Them were the days, "Bit of fibreglass and newspaper, good as new." The owner of the car did not want to take the matter further! "Just done it up, no problem, soon fix it."
Still the snow comes down, and freezes, you actually need a pick axe to move it now. Mike bought one of the snow shovels, the large plastic ones. What a waste of money! Might use it as a fan in the summer.

No comments: