Saturday 18 December 2010

A Christmas Long Time Ago.(no snow.)

I guess at this time of year, more than others, one's mind goes backwards. Then again it could be early signs of Altzheimers.
The blonde on the left with fag sticking out of her cheek is moi. Next to me daughter number two and the blonde with her back to the camera daughter number three. The other small body is, I think, one of my nieces. And the whirlwind in the back is my, long gone, Mother in law.
Don't we look to be having fun! It was always my job to entertain the small people when we visited the in laws. We had four, my sister in law then had 2 and my other sister in law had three. The picture is from a video that goes on and on for hours with this peculiarly strong Yorkshire accent telling them all what to do, and far too often - singing. I dont do that any more.
Daughter number three is 26 tomorrow. She just had a week being the same age as daughter number four, but we draw a veil over that one! Well, my excuse was I was a late starter and couldn't stop.
No pictures of snow, but there has to be a mention.
First time ever since we came to live here our road has had stuck cars on it.
The farmer used to be paid by the local authority to clear it, and he did our drive as well. No longer.
We have had a snow plough, but the driver is not au fait with the quirks of the road. Like there are two deep dips. So he has gone merrily along taking the top few inches off not realising that there are those two parts where the road dips and is therefore very deep in snow. So a constant sequence of vehicles getting stuck. People from round about have all come out and dug them out, but just before it got dark there was another one. This one must have phoned a friend as the next thing, as everyone was coming out with their shovels, a JCB with shovel attachment appeared and moved quite a lot of snow off the road. Three cheers.
The temperature reached a high of minus 6. It has continued to snow during the day. No post, though we saw the van go past (?) And I really am becoming stir crazy now.

It is one of my friend's wedding anniversary today. She and her husband are setting off for their celebratory meal in wellies and shovels at the ready. Let us raise a glass to them. Any excuse.

1 comment:

Jill Ashton said...

I was counting the words you got through before mentioning the white stuff! Jill x