Friday 3 December 2010

Far away Family.


My grandson Zach showing me where his cheeks are! Via Skype. He also said, "Grandma" for the first time. Which doubled the pile of presents for him under the tree in an instant!
22 days to go. As I had been indoors for two days I decided this morning to go out. Our nearest supermarket is ASDA. Quite a small one. So that is where I headed. First I had to be dug out, well hacked out more like. The snow is now solid ice. We were minus 15 at 9a.m. this morning with the sun up. I reversed okay but when I tried to then turn and head off down the drive I got wedged. Mike came and did the necessary (with a fair bit of shouting - not that way!) Off I tootled. Down the road which was white all over, into the village, and onto the main road, which was almost the same. Where was the plough? The gritter? Stuck somewhere, or busier elsewhere...At a sedate pace I made it to ASDA. If they can clear their car park and walkways why can't the council? It was like being in the desert and coming across an Oasis!
Spent quite a while in the supermarket looking for costly gifts, came back with a few, and some wine....
Mike spent the afternoon hacking away at the ice/snow so I dont get stuck again, nor does anyone else. Havent seen the postie today. But tomorrow we go and get the Christmas Tree. It has to be my car as Mike's has a flat tyre, that being the four wheel drive too, but after hacking away at the drive in sub zero temperatures he does not want to get out the foot pump.
In the afternoon I again Skyped this time my daughter Polly in Lincoln. She has a bad cold and throat and cough probably not helped by a 5 hour journey to get home Wednesday night for a 9 mile journey. Also the Christmas Market in Lincoln has been cancelled. First time in the 25 years it has been going. The local shopkeepers make more during that market than the whole of the year, my heart goes out to them. Yes the snow is pretty but what damage it can do.
We have been lucky that our two guests only missed one night here. Due back next week and right up till Christmas. Which means I can afford to go to ASDA again!


1 comment:

Lynn said...

Zach is gorgeous - great to get letter this morning - thanks:)
Much love,
L.x.