Friday 17 December 2010

Today it snowed.

and snowed. Picture above taken this morning. This is called a white out when you cannot see anything, in this case a field and the village half a mile away.
This next picture is taken this afternoon, just after Mike had set off walking to the village to post some cards. It wasn't snowing when he left, a brief, very brief as it turned out, respite. He returned looking like a snowman.
Our paying guests left this morning. I have been busy stripping beds, washing, and ironing. Our third guest room I have set up with twin beds for their stay next week. Currently they each have a room. But on Thursday part of the family are arriving. Daughter and partner in one room, and grandson next door. So our chaps are sharing a room for their last night's stay with us next week. Still having a room each till then. So mounds of ironing. Cleaning. Setting up. Also gave my bed sit /our bedroom a good clean. Presents piling up in there, all wrapped.
Still racking my brains as to what I have forgotten. I really have never been this organised. Even remembered to give the Christmas cake its weekly glug of brandy.
No postal delivery today, nor yesterday. Daughters who have ordered stuff to be delivered here now in a state of panic.
I was supposed to be driving to Aberdeen today to sell raffle tickets for the Rotary. As the day has gone on I am more than glad/relieved that I said I was not going. I hate to let people down, but it's not worth risking life and limb for. My shift was for 1p.m. till 6p.m. So I would have the rush hour home to contend with as well, in the dark. Whoooo, doesnt bear thinking about. Last night Aberdeen was gridlocked at rush hour time. As there's been loads more snow, and below freezing temperatures all day, I can't see there will have been an improvement.
I have decided that next year we will have our celebrations in June. Midsummers Eve, which is also our wedding anniversary. Instead of Father Christmas we will have Oberon, and Titania can get on top of one of the fir trees, fairy lights everywhere, fancy dress (I still have my wedding dress!) Magic. And no-one needs to worry about getting here. So far it hasn't snowed in June. Though there might be floods - or pestilence - or plague. I think I'd better think it out again.

1 comment:

Jill Ashton said...

I'm looking forward to the day when you say, "Today we had blues skies and sun all day".