Saturday 12 February 2011

Swimming pool.

A dreich day. Rain coming in horizontally. The ducks love it.
I shall so miss my view. When I sit at my lap top I have a mirror in front of me and in its reflection is the view from my bedroom patio doors. And the table and chairs waiting for summer.
Every window at Greenbrae has a view. Well, I suppose any window in any house has a 'view'. Our last house, in the Midlands, had a view, at the back, of our garden. High fences gave one an illusion of privacy. But when one of our neighbours decided to bring his t.v. into their back garden and we all had to endure Wimbledon whether we liked it or not, I knew it was getting beyond the pale. The front window gave a view of the street. Surrounded on all four sides by other houses I am surprised I remained sane. But then, I probably didnt!
We first looked at the west coast of Scotland. It just did not appeal. High mountains, pine forests, and the sea consisted mainly of lochs. Too claustrophobic by far.
I am continually amazed how, in a few miles here, you can be in totally different countryside. Yes we have pine forests, but also lots of broadleaf trees. Rolling agricultural swathes and then fields full of sheep or cows. And the sea. Right to the horizon, is the sea. You feel you can breathe.
When we look at houses, potential future homes, I am sure the owners think I am mad. As the first thing I do is look out of the windows. Just to confirm there are no near neighbours, plenty trees, and that my mental state will be able to relax. Then I can turn to the is our furniture going to fit malarkey.
As they say, location, location, location.

No comments: