Friday 11 February 2011

Fly away home.

Rooks on their way home to bed. After an exhausting day following the plough.
There are two ploughs today. One at our side of the road, so any minute now he will drive past the bedroom, and I still don't know whether to wave or ignore! We always wave when I am in the car. But imagine as they plough up and down, with about twenty minutes in between, its a big field, how often do you wave, once? every time? So I will just ignore.
The heron is out there again, and four buzzards.
Smoky Robinson, our drake, is now becoming more adventurous.
He loves the pond. Now Jemima is showing him the other parts of 'their' garden and hopefully widening his diet to slugs. But he still panics when he hears a tractor.
Looking at houses at the weekend.
I wonder how many houses they actually show to the people on Location, Location, Location. I bet its more than the three or four that make it to the screen. I imagine there will be some where they go in and walk straight out again. Well, that would be rude. But I really dont think that Phil and Kirstie narrow it down to just a few properties before showing the purchasers.
Having said that, I know I am terrible at viewing properties as I immediately start transforming the place in my mind. I then spend a long time poring over the schedule and writing stuff on it like, 'paint this cream', and the favourite 'REMOVE'. Till we view another and I am at it again, this drives Mike mad!
He only sees major drawbacks, such as sloping gardens, how does he mow the lawn. There are stairs - which I struggle with. Only if I am talking at the same time as climbing them. He can't walk to the shop for the paper, we can get it with the postie! When you try to establish how he FEELS in the house all you receive is a blank stare. Men v Women I guess.
But as this is probably our last move, before I am placed in the septic tank, I am being particularly picky. Plus my failing health rather stymies me on getting the sledge hammer out as I have done in the past. Dont think I told you, but I was once featured in the Sun comic (you cant really call it a newspaper) when I removed tiles from a wall and it fell down. Well, ok, slight exaggeration, the plaster came off. (It did mean we had to totally refit the kitchen, in itself, not a bad thing!)
This has caused some arguments. He wants to, as always, buy something cheap and fails to see why it is cheap, needs new kitchen, new bathroom, another bathroom, electric heating (this from a man who is so conscious of his carbon footprint he could draw a picture in charcoal with his big toe), small windows, no access to garden, backs onto a main road = dead cats, and so on. And its a boxy bungalow, no way.
Whereas I have now fine tuned what I want in my next abode. The amount of work we have done here, all I want is to be able to change the decor, and make some new cushions. End of story! But I still have to like it.
Strangely, as I was typing this, a man came to the door whose company have taken aerial photographs of Greenbrae over the years. The one at the top of this blog is the first one, just after we moved in. The one that was taken last year is amazing. From the one at the top to the one we were shown today it is clear just how much we have done here. Greenbrae looks fantastic to what it was. I wish we could have had that picture on our schedules! Sadly, we had to decline the purchase of the photo this time around.
So! On with the search for a new home. Fingers crossed we dont have to join the rooks. I am not good with heights.

No comments: