Thursday 3 February 2011

I hate the wind!

Probably the only drawback of living in the North East of Scotland.
I find myself eyeing up the trees that are around the house. One huge pine tree, that if it came down, would take half the house with it.
Our ancient roof on the 'old' house could well lose a few tiles and then if it rains...... Thinking positively, there is little rain at the moment. Our outdoor wooden chairs are all now gone over, strangely the light aluminium chairs are still upright. No! One has just gone. I am a bit worried about my wee body. I have to go outside and put the ducks to bed soon. Could end up in Moray.
When we had our four children aged 6 down to 2 all we could afford for holidays was in a tent. (It was actually very enjoyable.) Until we went to Whitby and camped on the cliff edge. And along came a wind, turned out to be the tail end of a hurricane. I kept saying to Mike, its getting worse, and he kept saying, shut up and go to sleep.
Then we heard, "This is the coast guard, evacuate, evacuate."
How do you evacuate four kids and a nappy bucket? Easy. The nappy bucket disappeared, along with my only pair of real gold earrings. The kids were thrown in the back of the estate car, and I drove it down to the site's pub. Only just stopping myself from driving over the cliff. I had the lights on inside the car to reassure the kids so couldnt see a thing outside!
Mike was very proud of the fact that our tent was the last to go.
Even the static caravans blew over on to their sides.
And the roof of the pub went too.
But we survived.
The next morning we loaded up a very soggy tent and as much as we could rescue, into the trailer.
Came home and for a few days had very steamy windows while we dried out the tent and everything else, draped round the house.
The tent poles were twisted and bent from the wind, but we did have them repaired and we did go camping again.
But since then I go on high alert when I hear the wind become more than normal.
And just an interesting note to all you who support wind farms. They switch them off when its like this!
Well, me - also feeling a bit battered.
"Do you want the good news or the bad?" from our solicitor.
Yes, there is an offer, whooo, bad news stupid offer- told them to put it where the sun dont shine.
On a positive note we are told by our solicitor (remember that in Scotland the solicitors are also the estate agents) that "This is just the start of negotiations."
Right - the ducks are now in bed. I didnt blow away, though very nearly.
No negotiations there. They were just relieved that someone higher up in the food chain (?) master race(?) was telling them what to do. They dont like the wind either.
I suppose that the lesson of today is no-one, or no duck, is completely in charge of their future.

No comments: