Tuesday 22 February 2011

Rattray Head.

Fantastic sand dunes here.
When we considered living here, in the North East of Scotland, one of the places we viewed was the old lighthouse cottages and the lighthouse station, at Rattray Head. The latter looked, to me, like a lego house, and I said no way.
Subsequently it was bought by a couple who became friends of ours. They run a very succesful eco hostel in the lego house and do b&b in the cottages, where they also live.
As with most of our friends who are involved in tourism we meet up rarely, but always a pleasant meeting and, most essential, have a good laugh. It will be one of the pluses of moving that we will be able to see them more often.
Yet more decluttering and filling of dustbin bags and recycling, today. I attacked the utility room. Three bags of rubbish. I was being ruthless!
Mike said, "Why didnt you do all this before we had house viewings?"
Well, as did happen, none of the viewings came to anything, all of the offers failed for one reason and another, and you never know when you are going to want/need that bowl of screws, hooks, ancient polish, and just how many old tea towels were stacked up for goodness knows what, bottles of bath foam with 5 centimetres left in them, and so on.
I kept the flower vases in there and they have been packed up now.
There was an ancient box of Ajax or Vim, remember that?! Bloody good stuff, but not for todays sinks.
I also discovered we had 6 bottles of wood floor cleaning stuff. It must have been that every time we went to the Hardware Store to buy laminate floor cleaner and tile cleaner we also put in a wood floor cleaner. Weird. That has not been thrown away and will be left for the future owners who will never need to buy any again.
On the b&b front. Yet another slap in the face. We had a woman booked in up til 31st March. Indeed, we turned down the exit date of 31st March on our sale of the house, so as to be able to pack up after she had departed. Well, she didnt return after her weekend off. I am waiting to see if her cheque clears for the time she was with us, if it doesn't its the police, if it does I shall still make sure I have an enjoyable time composing a vitriolic email...
My diploma in Law enables me to discuss breach of contract, but my common sense tells me I am wasting my time.
A lovely sunny day here today. But very cold. There is a haze over the fields which indicates frost tonight.
We have a food inspector in tonight.
Will try not to poison him.
Fortunately everywhere is spotless, especially the wooden floors.

No comments: