Wednesday 2 February 2011

Snowdrops.

Late this year. Just seen only one clump at the bottom of our drive. So, not long now before we should see 'carpets' of them. Nature is the one reliable provider of the lifting of the spirits.
I spent the morning back on the day job, ironing, washing and sorting out guest bedrooms.
As one of the things I am being tested for is Coeliac Disease, I decided, this morning to forgo my usual breakfast of a slice of toast with Mike's homemade marmalade. And had a banana instead.
I had two boiled eggs for lunch without the two Ryvitas.
It can't be as simple as that can it?
I had no stomach noises to register on the Richter scale, no bloating, no churning. Hmm.
Apparently they have now discovered that 1 in a hundred has Coeliac Disease. It was always thought to be a childhood thing, but recently further investigations have come up with this that 10 per cent of the adults have it.
Well, god help them in Peterhead.
I decided to go to Morrisons and Asda to see if I could purchase stuff that was gluten free and that I would enjoy eating. This after googling (of course) and getting quite excited at all the goodies that were available. Sadly, not in Peterhead.
I did find bread flour for bread, always state the obvious, and pizza bases. But only white.
I eventually found in Asda, not in Morrisons, some crispbreads which look better than cardboard, yet to see if that is genuine. Morrisons just had some puffed rice which was so none appetising looking I thought it was some sort of house insulation.
And some gluten free muesli. If I am coeliac I would make my own. You could make a ton of it for what they were charging for a small packet. Perhaps it cost something to have the gluten free tick on your product?
No wonder you can get foodstuffs on prescription, if you are diagnosed, as the price for all of this was totally extortionate.
What I also found amazing was the amount of foods that does use flour, bulking agent, whatever.
All of the prepared, ready meals, especially those which claim to be HEALTHY. Presumably the HEALTH part of it is you dont cut yourself preparing the vegetables, or burn yourself browning the meat. And stand well back from the microwave.
It takes six months (might have got that wrong) for the body to recover from having gluten if it doesnt like it.
There is no way I could say hand on heart, "Well, I feel fine now." But there is an improvement.
The sad thing is I can no longer drink beer, lager.....
BUT I can drink wine. Cheers!





1 comment:

Lynn said...

Very strangely, there are even gluten free lagers and beers!
L.x.