Tuesday 1 February 2011

I will lift up mine eyes....

unto the hills...
I am not religious but I do like this psalm.
It was buildings that surrounded me yesterday. Great blocks of granite, built into great edifices, of all ages.
I had to go to Aberdeen to the Royal Infirmary to see a consultant. Parking fees are no longer required in most hospitals in Scotland. Which, of course, leads to there being nowhere to park.
Having consulted my map of the hospital I parked the car in a car park where I thought the clinic I was to go to was. There were no signs other than one pointing down an alley to a stone wall...
I espyed a girl in nurses uniform and asked for directions. "Oh, I think I know were that is, come with me." So we set off. After about a quarter of a mile and quite a few puffs on my 'emergency inhaler', we arrived at the Maternity Hospital.
"Its my first day, " she said. "I think you want to be down there."
Now we had walked downhill to get this far. After she disappeared I looked at my map and saw I was in totally the wrong direction. How I got back to the car, back up the bloody hill,without collapsing - at least I was in the right place for that - but I did.
I then decided to drive round and not walk again until I was sure of where I was going. Good job I had allowed plenty time.
Round and round, up and down, stopping to look at the map and try and fix where I was.
I eventually started to head for the original car park, but this time there was a man operating a barrier.
"Can you tell me where this clinic is?"
"Give us your letter."
He then handed me a parking permit, telling me it was the building with the revolving doors. The previous car park was now full. Time was running out and I could not see a building with revolving doors. I just ditched the car down an alley. There was scaffolding everywhere and I just hoped it wasnt where the builders were returning to or leave all their big machinery and I wouldnt be able to get out.
I then saw a young man who had a label hanging round his neck, "Do you know where anywhere is?"
"It's taken me three years, " he replied. He was a medical student. ARI is also a university for potential doctors.
He took me to the doors of a building, ordinary doors. "I was told there would be revolving doors." Me thinking, here we go again.
"Oh, there are, they are inside."
Needless to say my blood pressure was through the roof.
Not only was I physically ready to collapse but I did wonder whether to ask him where the psychiatric unit was, and get it over with. Seeing as I was there.
This did all take my mind off the sale of the house. Or not as the case may be.
The 'buyers' are still keen. So now we are back in the waiting game of them getting finance and then putting in an offer.
I really think I should have checked the wherabouts of the psychiatric clinic..

No comments: