Wednesday 5 January 2011

I wish -

I could have this lot every morning! Is it the Queen who has a piper every morning, playing them I hasten to add, she doesnt actually 'have' a piper, but then a man in a kilt does something to this girl. Mentally. I'd better stop this before I get into trouble. Perhaps if I play one of my piping cds it would get me going.
Its difficult to get back into the mode of doing things at this time of year.
The tree came down, all the decorations packed away in the loft. Everywhere looks terribly dingy (and dusty).
I gave the sideboard a good clean and polish. Elbow grease, use of, is supposed to be good for your stress levels. Physically I was whacked. Vacuumed up another chaffinch in the entrance hall. Culprit nowhere to be seen. Only two loads of washing today. Have caught up with bedding and towel washing. Ironing pile up to the roof. Perhaps tomorrow?
In the morning I went to the library in the next village. Decided to look for knitting books to inspire me. I have the wool, I have the needles. "Knitted Toys." was the only book on the shelf.
"We can order you some."
Well as I dont know what I am looking for that could be difficult.
On to the post office. Our nearest post office is also in the next village and is inside the Spar, which is also our nearest petrol station. It is most odd. You have two tills with people taking your money for petrol, stuff in the shop, papers, magazines, etc. Then two tills with post office staff alongside. Next to them is the hot food counter and you queue up for the post office next to bar stools and a hot drink machine. The only people I have seen at the bar stools slurping a hot drink is the post office counter staff.
I was chasing up a parcel that had not been received by my brother in law, had to be him.
Apparently it is more than likely to be in the back log I was informed. Well how come it was sent at the same time as one to Plymouth which did get there, and my brother in law lives in Sheffield. Hardly the place one expects a back log.
Still waiting for payment for two weeks before Christmas from the local company who are housing their workmen here, due to arrive back Monday. I know this is not in the back log as our postie says there isnt one and he is down to delivering the junk mail.
I phoned up to have a rant and was informed no-one is back till Monday.....by then they will owe me next week as well.
I think I will present the mens breakfast plates with a pile of i.o.u.s - but then, it isnt their fault.
I will never get over how wonderful it is to see the sun set over land and not roofs. Even if you havent seen the sun all day there is still a sun set. I did have a laugh as I watched today's sunset. As I pulled on my boots to put the ducks to bed, they saw me through the patio window and immediately trooped off and in to their hut. All I had to do was close the door!
Yesterday we had our first footers. I should have made them go out again and fetch a piece of coal, but it didnt click till they had gone. Lucy and Sandy (do you remember Round the Horn and Julian and Sandy?) (I think I am losing my marbles - before you even think it!) (Word association they call it.)
Anyway they have just returned from a trip to Australia. One of Lucy's daughters is living there, her partner works for the oil industry, obviously better paid than the oil industry round here, though that is nae bad.
Apparently they live in a glass house....so the poor girl spends her time cleaning. Now, to me, something is very wrong here. You go half way round the world for a better life and spend all your time polishing the staircase.
Quite pleased that I live here and all I had to do today was polish the sideboard.

No comments: