Wednesday 12 January 2011

A brighter day?

Not many lighthouses atop a castle. But there is one at Fraserburgh, or in Doric, the Broch.
Also here is the Lighthouse Museum, open all year round, thank goodness we have some where to send our braver guests who come out of season.
It is a fascinating museum. Part of the tour is a trip up this lighthouse where it is laid out as if the keepers had just gone outside. Beds made, old radio at the ready, very 1950s. I cant manage the steps any more. The tour I took, some years back, the guide was a retired lighthouse keeper. Today, Mike and Chloe were taken up by a young man who wasnt even born when the lighthouses went automatic. But, apparently, still entertaining and informative. He said his uncle was a fisherman and used all the latest technological aids and didnt know how to use lighthouses (!). I said, "Even I know how to use lighthouses, if in a boat, avoid them."
While they were being tourists I went to Tescos. For a browse. Having no money, it was quite annoying as all the Christmas stuff was reduced to almost giveaway prices. However I did succumb to a box of chocolates as Chloe is with us and what the hell. There was also a lovely wrap around cardi in the sale reduced from £20 to £6. My excuse - wear when cannot afford to put heating on......Bottle of wine? No excuse.
I then went and parked up overlooking the vast swathe of golden sands where they have the Kite surfing championships. Then more down to earth I drove to the harbour past fish factory after fish factory. Then up into the town.
Fraserburgh is generally thought of as more run down than Peterhead. But there is still something about it. Quite different to Peterhead. I got the feeling it thinks of itself as more genteel?
Then back to the Lighthouse Museum for lunch. The cafe there looks out over the sea. Spectacular views. Lovely fresh cooked food. And an added bonus today - a long chat, (well if I am honest a full public relations lecture ), from Rachel who is the Manager/Curator/leading light (forgive the pun) and had recognised Mike from his days as the leading light of the local tourism industry. It is actually really refreshing to hear someone who is still as passionate about her job and tourism.
Back home. Opened the post.
Remember the booking from the Ukraine? And the oh dear I have sent you a cheque for too much money, just pay in to your account and then send the difference back? Well today I received the cheque! £6k plus. Wouldnt I just love to have cashed it! Currently waiting for my bank's fraud squad to advise..........
I just wish the criminal fraternity would leave me alone. Or should I ask for lessons?

No comments: