Tuesday 23 November 2010

Don't panic!

Not here yet! But threatened for the end of the week.
With all the kerfuffle of stuff running out on the internet I thought it was time I finally got down to it and went to the shops. Now Peterhead is not exactly the mecca of the retail world. Since Woolworths closed down and was replaced by an Iceland, theres not much browsing to do. How stupid is that, fill everyones stocking with frozen ready meals?
One of the best shops ever has also gone, called The Gift Shop it was run by two girls who have now become firm friends, but sadly the shop is no more. Always managed to get tons of different, delightful, objects from there.
So I directed myself to W.H. Smiths, New Look and Dorothy Perkins. And came out again. I had thought, if I feel good and well dressed then that will rub off on everyone else and we'll have a good Christmas. The only item I could possibly have worn was just a tad too sparkly for me. I also worried about what would happen if you sat down with all those sequins on, would they fly off? Cut you in half, cut anyone who gave you a hug?
So, off to my favourite shops, the charity ones. We have quite a lot in Peterhead. Now joined by a pawn shop I noticed.....Might just flog the gold.
It's not just the vast swathe of all things curious its the clientele I find so fascinating. I got into a conversation with one woman who kept asking me, "Whats this for?" "Its a coffee jug." "Jug? Whats wrong with a mug?" and a chap who physically elbowed me out of the way as I peered at the book shelves, obviously frantic I was going to pick up the one book he might want.
Called in at ASDA on the way home. Bottle of wine for me and another present for the grandson.
Home again to find the oil delivery had been, big sigh of relief. If we are to be snowed in at least we will be warm. 1,568 litres of liquid gold. Doubt I would get anything for that down at the pawn shop.

No comments: